Tuesday, January 22, 2013

30 in 30, #20 – Beached at Balboa

Beached at Balboa, study, 8"x10", oil on canvas panel, $100

Click to purchase through PayPal

This study was done last week at Balboa Island, California, under a bright blue sky and full sun. The sun was so warm that I ended up with a heat rash where my black jeans were in the direct sun. I thought this little boat would be a good quick study. It had a cover pulled over it, so it wasn't going to move anytime soon and the values were clear and definite. After I did a quick value study in black and white paint, and sketched the scene on my canvas with thinned paint, I started to put in my darks. And along came a guy in another small boat, who pulled his boat up right alongside "my" boat. He hopped out and took off down the street. As Kim said, "Welcome to plein air!" Even though my view was blocked, I decided to carry on, and the guy came back about 20 minutes later and took off. 

We are home from our long weekend trip. It was a really fun time, and I discovered some new painting destinations for the future. I'm looking forward to getting back to painting daily. (I had painted a couple of paintings ahead last week so I could post them while I was gone.)



4 comments:

  1. Very enticing, love your colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! Never sure what color "sand" should be, so I kept it warm, and I'm glad it worked. Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!! What a great job you did with this. The detail is so good. I also love the beautiful paintings from your trip. You inspire me Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jeanne! I learned a lot from this one. I'm so glad you're painting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...