Monday, January 14, 2013

30 in 30, #12 – Prince Eugène

Prince Eugène, 6"x6", oil on panel
Let me introduce you to my all-time favorite rose. This is Eugène de Beauharnais, an old China/Bourbon rose, bred in France in 1838, and named for Prince Eugène de Beauharnais, son of Josephine and stepson of Emperor Napoleon. It is fairly small, grows in a large pot, and has deep red-magenta blooms with the most incredible fragrance. The blooms don't last when cut, darn, but it blooms most of the year and there is almost always a bloom for me to admire and smell when I walk by. I don't know why it is not more widely grown, especially here in a mild climate where it fits so well into our smaller yards and patios.

I've never attempted to paint Eugène, but since this is my challenge month, I thought I'd try. This particular bloom had three centers, with hundreds (maybe) of petals. Way too much to put on a small painting, but I think I got the gist of it. 

Here's my reference photo, and a couple of progress shots. I really enjoy seeing other artists' process, so have been trying to include a few shots of mine.


Eugène de Beauharnais, China/Bourbon, 1838



sketch and blocking in darks


main shapes; trying to get the values clear while not losing the hues. 
Or getting the hues while not losing the values?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait to hear about your drawing!

      Delete
  2. Nice. I like the painting steps posted also. Great to paint in this painting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Funny how our two roses are side-by-side on Leslie's page. I'm glad you like the step photos; I was hoping someone finds them interesting or useful.

      Delete
  3. Cindy, Thank you for your note on my painting! One of my favorite parts of all of this is getting acquainted with other artists new to me!
    I am most interested in your rose. I think I could not possibly grow it here, unless it would do well indoors. But I am always looking for more antique type roses. Any suggestions as to where to look for it?

    I always like progress photos. I would also like to see you paint it more times....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn, There is a wonderful site for roses called HelpMeFind. Here is the link for this rose: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2663&tab=1

      There's a tab at the top that says "Buy From" and it lists a couple of nurseries who sell it. I can't remember where I bought it (many years ago), but I think it was an own-root that I bought on-line.

      I don't know of any roses that grow well indoors, but the USDA zone will be on the HelpMeFind listing.

      Thanks again - I may just paint this one again, now that the scary first time is over.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...