Sunday, January 13, 2013

30 in 30, #11 – Lit by the Sun

Lit by the Sun, 5"x5", oil on panel

Mere change is not growth. Growth is the synthesis of change and continuity, and where there is no continuity there is no growth. — C.S. Lewis

Isn't this a great quote? Somewhat applicable to those of us who are suddenly painting every day...

I've enjoyed watching my bunch of freesias slowly open. They are incredibly graceful. I had put the vase on the living room mantel to replace the Christmas garlands, but brought it into the kitchen this morning to see what it would look like with the sun shining through the window. I shot some photos, and one of them had the sunlit blooms highlighted against a dark background. That inspired me to try this very different version of freesias. Their transparency is challenging to paint, but still so lovely.

I so appreciate the wonderful comments; you are so encouraging!
 

4 comments:

  1. I can almost smell their wonderful fragrance... I wish. I grew some many years ago... and did many drawings, never painted them. Great idea and painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... Can almost smell them!! From your cuz that's still a fan =) Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A more dramatic version than your first painting of the freesia, and absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! I am certainly looking at the vase of freesias differently now. I appreciate your comments so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...