Saturday, April 6, 2013

Keyhole Rock in Laguna Beach

Keyhole Rock, 8x10", oil on canvas panel, available here
A couple of friends invited me to join them yesterday morning in Laguna Beach, at the Montage Hotel, for a plein air painting session. There is a public park and bluff area in front of the hotel and it is gorgeous. I'm surprised we were the only painters there. We quickly set up and chose our painting views. I knew I had to paint fast and loose, since I had about two hours before I had to leave. 


I had my own "studio"

I've seen several paintings of Keyhole Rock, so it was interesting to start my own. Sometimes I feel the painting has a life of its own, and I'm just there to facilitate things. (Then there are all the other times...)

I completed about 90% of the painting at the beach, and made a few corrections and finishing touches today. 

This is on a Panelli Telati panel from Italy, which is a cotton canvas on a hardboard panel. I really like the very fine canvas texture, and they are light to carry for plein air work. I still love the Ampersand Gessobords, but am enjoying this as a change.



Debbie & Jeanne painting their Keyhole Rock paintings from the upper path

Thanks, Debbie & Jeanne — it was great!

3 comments:

  1. Your painting is beautiful Cindy! I love the way the dark rocks bring your eye into the little cove and the color of the water is so pretty! I'm glad you could join us, we'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Debbie! I want to see yours! We have to set up a blog for you....

      I had a great time and look forward to next time.

      Delete
  2. Cindy,

    You painting is absolutely fantastic! The water looks transparent in the foreground and I can "feel" the water moving. So glad you could join us, hope we can do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...